Tuesday, August 18, 2009

VMware virtual machine console error

I just had this issue very recently happen to me where I was not able to connect to VM console on 2 out of 3 ESX hosts in same cluster.
Remote console port used by VM's is 903. I came to find out that all of my ESX hosts do not have that port open but do have 902 open. Weird thing was that one of the hosts works just fine.

Adding vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy = "TRUE"" into /etc/vmware/config on problem ESX hosts resolved the issue. What that line does essentially is allows consol traffic on port 902 instead of 903. I guess I could have opened 903 port on ESX hosts as a different solution but above mentioned line worked just fine.

You can see more info on VMware site if you follow the link http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=749640

No comments:

Post a Comment